Friday Happy Hour

Friday, February 26, 2010

It's a little late, but what can I say. It's been a long week. Today was day 6 of an 8-day stretch at work. And, boy do I need a drink. So today's drink is one of my favorites.

Old-Fashioned

1/2 slice orange
1 maraschino cherry
1 sugar cube
4-6 shakes of Angostura bitters
1 1/2 oz. Brandy or Canadian Whiskey
seltzer water or lemon-lime soda

garnish: 1/2 orange slice and a cherry. Thread on a skewer: in orange, through the cherry, out the orange.

In the bottom of an old-fashioned glass (yes, this is where it gets it's name) place cherry and orange, add sugar and bitters to taste. Muddle this all together with a muddler. When this has been completely crushed and mixed, add ice. To this add the brandy or whiskey and finish off with water or sprite.

Adding sprite makes what the Wisconsinite will call an "Old-fashioned, sweet". Making it with seltzer will mimic the Old-fashioned you would be offered anywhere else in the country.

*******************************************

I was taught how to make this drink at my first bartending gig. I was just a kid of 22. Her stage name was Simply Divine, but her real name was Brian Femrite. He sat me down early one night and took the time to really show me how to make a drink. It was the beginning of my fascination with a good cocktail. I've been hooked ever since. So hooked that most of the time I don't order one, because they are usually made so poorly. A few places where I know you can get a good one include: The Old-Fashioned-Madison, WI (duh!), Angel's Share-NYC, Grand Cafe-SF.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Footer

American 'Chow Mein' Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino